Make your dog work mentally - indoor activities
Did you know that your dog spends the equivalent of one hour of exercise for 15 minutes of mental work?
All dogs need to be mentally stimulated, learn to find solutions and think while being rewarded.
However, we remind you that it is essential that your dog / puppy have his daily physical exercise period to promote a healthy balance in his energy expenditure.
Small tip ... If you want to play your dog without it treats of treats and take weight too quickly: of the total portion which it eats in a day, reserve him the 1/3 (or less) of his croquettes for games or periods of obedience training.
You can also slightly reduce its portion of croquettes to add some special treats during the day.
Playing at the hiding place with his dog?
It's possible! Even better, no need to hide ourselves, it's up to our dog to do all the detective work.
The kibble hiding
Put your dog in a closed room of your house, close the door, then hide kibbles everywhere. Once the croquettes are everywhere, go see your dog then make him feel one or two croquettes. Open the door giving him the command seeking.
Attention, this game has several levels, depending on the skills of your dog.
During your first attempts, limit yourself to a room only where your dog will have to look and to accessible hiding places.
For example, the first time you play, place kibble on objects (coffee table, tablet in a toy, etc.) where your dog will find it easy to find what he is looking for.
- Increase the difficulty of this game from day to day.
- Hide a small number of croquettes the first few times then increase the number when your dog becomes a good detective.
- We can also help our dog in his research to not lose his interest by pointing to a specific place.
This exercise puts into practice the most powerful sense of our dog: his sense of smell! To make him fall back into his first instincts (eat and seek) stimulates him mentally, and all thanks to his pif.
How to use a Kong as your dog's toy?
If some dogs are crazy, others do not seem to bring him an unconditional love.
So, how to make it more stimulating?
Fill it with croquettes, of course! However, some dogs have a particular gift to find all the treats that their toy contains in less than a minute.
To make it more difficult for your dog to pull out all his food from his toy, here are some tips:
- We can start by putting some croquettes, put peanut butter in the center and then finish with other croquettes.
- Still too easy? Put the kong in the freezer overnight. A big challenge awaits your dog the next morning.
What's great about this game? It makes your dog work, but he also takes it full time. This gives you the freedom to go about your business (prepare lunches, children's lunch, etc.) without having your dog in the legs!
- Put some cheese in it and let it melt in the microwave for a few seconds then add the croquettes
- Put only peanut butter inside (plan to reduce the next portion of the meal).
- Make a reward Kong by pyramid. That is to say to put the ultimate reward at the end (a piece of banana), then the hot dog sausage, dried chicken and croquettes.
Canine play stations
Some companies have now become masters in the art of entertaining our dogs.
Although they represent a monetary expense, these games are worth the investment. Stress reduction, slower ingestion of food ... These games are also very good tools to help resolve behavioral problems in our dogs.
The budget is missing but you would like to tinker with this type of activity yourself?
Just take a bottle of carbonated drink of 2 liters, make a few holes, and then insert croquettes or treats.
Your dog will have to roll the bottle and lug around to get his food.
If it has a strong jaw, you can use a black ABS tube, make a few holes, insert croquettes, and close each side with caps.
Warning: always watch your dog when playing with these games.
Object detection: a captivating game for your dog!
Your dog will have to search, find, and then bring back a particular object that can be anywhere in your home. Start this activity gradually: with a precise piece to look for, then expand the search area to the entire house!
Take an object that can easily hide in several places:
- a pair of stockings
- a slipper
- Attach to this object a treat
- While your dog is isolated in a room, hide the object
- Go then to join your doggie
- Make him feel the treat and tell him looking
- When he finds the object, he can eat the treat that will be attached to it.
- Then, remind your dog to bring the item into your hands and reward him again.
- Gradually, your dog will find the object more easily and bring it back to you directly.
The perfect tool to get your dog to work mentally in positive reinforcement!
Find the right motivation to work your dog:
Use it to strengthen your dog every time it does a good behavior after clicking your Clicker.
It's possible to train your dog like any other professional thanks to courses on using the Clicker (from beginner to expert level).
To do this, find a veteran canine educator to help you in your learning and give you a personalized coaching, according to your needs.
These are our favorites canine activities to do to move dog or rainy days! There are many others ... Free to create new ones!
However, we remind you that these activities must be done under surveillance and that they do not replace the needs of your dog's physical energy expenditure.